Gene Norrs

Obituary of Gene Norrs

West Leyden- Gene M. Norrs, 86, of Mud Lake Road, husband of the late Mary Agnes, passed away at Oneida Health Care, Oneida, on Tuesday, June 26, 2018.

 

          Gene was born on November 22, 1931, in Fertile, Minnesota, a son of David and Martha Haugen Norrs, and graduated from Fertile MN High School, with The Class of 1950.  Thereafter, Mr. Norrs served his country in the US Airforce, stationed in Korea during the Korean Conflict.  Mr. Norrs was honorably discharged from the Airforce with the rank of Staff Sergeant, on January 7, 1955, from Griffiss Airforce Base, Rome. 

 

          After serving his country, Mr. Norrs attended Syracuse University and The University of North Dakota, Grand Forks, ND, earning a Master’s Degree.

 

          On April 14, 1954, Gene was united in marriage with Mary Agnes Fleming, at The Church of the Annunciation, Clark Mills.  The couple lived in Verona for many years before moving to their present home on the Mud Lake Road near West Leyden.  Mrs. Norrs passed away on September 17, 2004.

 

          For thirty two years until his retirement, Mr. Norrs was employed in operation of defense systems at The Rome Labs, Rome, NY.

 

          He was a member of Charles J. Love Post # 406, American Legion and Harland Hennessey Post V.F.W. both of Boonville and he served The Tug Hill Commission.

 

          Gene is survived by three sons, James M. Norrs  and significant other, Mary Nicholas, Munnsville, John M. Norrs and his wife, Melissa and David C. Norrs all of West Leyden; fifteen grandchildren, eight great grandchildren; one sister, Marlene (Gary) Harris, Phoenix, AZ.  He was predeceased by two brothers, David and Willis Norrs.

 

          His family extends a sincere note of thanks and appreciation to the staff at Oneida Health Care, for the excellent care which they provided for Gene. 

 

          Calling hours are Saturday, 10:00 A.M. until 12 Noon at Trainor Funeral Home, Inc. 143 Schuyler St. Boonville, with interment to follow in St. Mary’s Cemetery, West Leyden.